Why are we here?
What is it that is so important to achieve?
What purpose do we need to serve?
Has God sent us for his own work?
These are the questions which often come to the mind of people but remain unanswered. There is however no definition to justify life and its significance.
As it is said, “The meaning of life is whatever you ascribe it to be.” Therefore, the most basic meaning of life is to be alive and live.
Life certainly has no meaning until and unless we give it one. We are the one living and providing the content to it so it depends on us that what we dig out from our living.
In ancient time and modern days, people do believe that human life is the creation of a supernatural entity which is the God and that he had an intelligent purpose in creating the human and that this intelligent purpose is the ‘meaning of life’. Whether or not God exists now, whether or not he gave us a purpose, and whether or not there is an afterlife, we should create our own purposes to define the meaning of our living.
Human is yet said to be in the search of the real meaning of life. Our existence to find the answers of these questions is the basic meaning and the complex meaning is yet to be found. People on the alternative have given small definitions to the meaning of life including the necessary things we are engrossed with. Some of these activities include success, wealth relationships, entertainment, sex and doing good to others. People have testified that at every stage, while they achieved their goals of wealth, relationships, and pleasure.
We ask two questions to ourselves in order to find the purpose of our living. These are:-
1) What is most important to me in my life: Life will be meaningless if a person does not know his priorities. He has to always work keeping his priorities in mind. The most important people and things compose themselves in order to give you happiness and satisfaction. And of course, until and unless you are not happy, you will never recognize the meaning of your life.
2) What is the work I am most efficient in: Doing the work in which you are efficient will lead you to achieve your goals. Completion of goals leads you to complete the purpose of your life which ultimately leads you to find the reason and meaning of your life.
There are several books which are based on finding the real meaning to life
- A New Earth: Awakening to Your Life’s Purpose
- Let Your Life Speak
- The Alchemist
- The Art of Happiness: A Handbook for Living
- To be told: Know Your Story, Shape Your Future