More often than we’d like, we find ourselves in (uncomfortable!) set of circumstances where we’ve been asked ‘so why don’t you introduce yourself to us and tell us a little about you’. Or simply one of those random but common situations where we don’t know anyone else and have spotted an ideal ally with whom we’re sure we’d hit it off with. We want to get a conversation started but how?
Rather than get termed as the metaphorical boring ‘wallflower-who-remains-to-themselves’ (not that there’s anything wrong with not wanting to mingle either), here are a wide variety of simple to deep-answer questions that’ll guide you through scratching, then breaking the ever-thinning ice and help you plunge head-first straight into those icy waters! All while not drowning of course.
Getting to know you questions
Here are a few basic starters that’ll help you break the ever so uncomfortable silence and basically give you a chance to get to know them. It’s safe to say that these serve better than the basic dry query as to what their hobbies are.
- So what’s the meaning of your name? Why did your parents choose it for you?
- What’s the most unusual name you’ve ever heard?
- Are you an only child? (If they have siblings, ask about them too!)
- Are you originally from the place where you’re staying currently? Where’d you grow up? (If you are familiar with the place maybe narrate some anecdotes about your experiences there. If not, ask them about it)
- Which is one place you want to travel to before you die?
- Is there any decision you’ve made in the past that you wish could go back and change?
- If teleportation was real and you could go anywhere in the galaxy, tell me one place you wish you could teleport to instantly.
- What is something in your everyday routine that you look forward to?
- If you could get a tattoo, what would it be and why? Also, where would you put it? If you already do, what does it symbolise?
- If you were confined to your room for some reason, what things would you want to have with you for that time?
- What pets did you have growing up?
- What would you title your autobiography if you wrote one?
- If you were in a situation where you were getting late for something urgent, and you saw someone in dire trouble, let’s say a child lost at the airport with your flight about to board, would you stop and help?
- What’s the most impulsive thing you’ve ever done till date?
- Is there any animal or insect that you wish the world was eradicated? Like for example, what if all spider species went extinct with no effect on the current ecosystem.
- What’s something that you made a decision to do that everyone said wouldn’t work out or you wouldn’t succeed at doing, that you later proved them wrong at?
- If you were featured on the local news, what would you most likely be on there for?
- Standard, but if you were given an amount of money that’s not too small nor too large, let’s say a thousand dollars, what would you do with it?
Questions about your preferences
A little something to help you get to know more about your new friend’s likes and dislikes!
- How often do you stay up late? Do you indulge in snacking while doing so?
- If you had to go the rest of your life eating only 4 choices of food, which would they be?
- What’s your drink of choice? (Let’s go non-alcoholic because those are more interesting and no one gets a chance to try and show off)
- Which is you could be any animal in the world, which would you be and why?
- Do you like spending time with people, or prefer solitude?
- What works of art have really made an impression on you?
- What culture would you like to learn more about?
- Beaches and treks, or shopping and hanging out at someone’s house?
- Are you a serious in-the-moment, decorum-maintaining type of person, or do you love being silly and having a good laugh?
- Do you like dark humour or light jokes?
- What fashion trend needs to be brought back?
- What’s your favorite way to waste time online?
- Do you like ice-cream? (everyone does, and even if they’re some strange heathen that doesn’t, this question can still be asked anyways)Is there an ice-cream flavor in the world that’s not been invented yet, but you feel should be a thing?
Would you Rather-/ Have you ever-? Questions
Find out what they’ve done or not!
- Have you ever paid for something and then immediately regretted it?
- Have you ever stalked someone online because you thought they were interesting? (Let’s face it, we all do. Even the best of us)
- Have you ever gotten into hot water with authority? For what?
- Have you ever been lost as a child and thought that you were never going to see your family again? (All of us have faced this at some point)
- Have you ever been secretly obsessed with someone(a crush, celebrity) that you did some crazy things that were not typical of your normal behaviour?
- Have you ever had to lie about something big and keep it a secret from your family, but in looking back now you wish you’d have just told them the truth?
- Have you ever done something that as soon as you started doing it, your mind went ‘OK, this is a really bad idea’?
- Have you ever pulled an all-nighter? For what?
- Have you ever been to a party which you thought would be a bummer, but turned out to be a real blast?
- Forget parties, have you ever met someone who you never ‘vibed’ or ‘clicked’ with initially, but as time went on, proved to be one of your closest friends and trustworthy companions?
- What’s the biggest adventure you’ve been on?
- Have you ever wanted at some time to tell someone something but dismissed it as unimportant, only for you to wish later that you had?
- What is the most stressful TV show or movie you watched?
- Who is the most interesting stranger you’ve met?