Have you ever felt that this particular situation of your or this particular episode of incidents have already been happened early before in your life, even though it was your first ever time? If this has happened to you then you have undergone a phenomenon what researchers and scientists still could not fully identify called as “Déjà vu which is French word meaning ‘already seen’. According to a survey about two-thirds of the individuals of the world has experienced Déjà vu in their lifetime. Someone cannot be called up, laid over for MRI scans and studied for Déjà vu as it is sudden causation; still, studies prove that there are certain concepts that are in swings of neuroscience and psychology. There are two types of Déjà vu that are said to occur- one being the normal psychological one which occurs for the healthy individual and the second one which is said to pronounce in pathological people who had an epileptic seizure period. Thus, the scientific and clinical approaches abolish the views for explanation of déjà vu as a process of “precognition” or “prophecy”, but rather state it as some anomaly of recall memory, which then produces the feelings of the distinct impression of “being recalled”.
When Déjà vu becomes a problem for people
As said earlier, Déjà vu when said to seen overtly more frequently in number then it may denote some serious mental issues in that person. Déjà vu can actually be viewed as problematic when seen in the following three ways to take place;
- When Déjà vu is said to occur in about few times in the same month rather than a healthy number of times per whole year.
- When Déjà vu is accompanied along with a negative or a bad form of a dream and with obscene or disturbing visual scenes by the individual.
- When Déjà vu is said to occur along with any physiological body functioning like fast heart pacing, sweating, etc. or by some psychological unconscious overt behaviors like chewing nothing, extreme levels of fear or feelings of anxiety.
When the experiences of Déjà vu is said to be abnormal in nature or when the exact causation is not known or even when there are doubts arising from your phenomena then it is strongly recommended to consult a neurologist or psychologist.
Few Significant associated forms of Déjà vu
- Déjà pensé – already thought
- Déjà raconté – already recounted
- Déjà lu – already read
- Déjà voulu – already desired
- Déjà entendu – already heard
- Déjà rêvé – already dreamt
- Déjà visité – already visited
- Déjà dit – already said/spoken
- Déjà éprouvé – already experienced
- Déjà fait – already done
- Déjà senti – already felt, smelt
- Déjà arrivé – already happened
The three important types of déjà vu
There exist three different types of Déjà vu as found by psychologists and neurologists namely;
- ASSOCIATIVE DÉJÀ VU- memory-related Déjà vu which is defined to be the most common form of recall process for the healthy groups of individuals. Examples are feelings of vision or hearing which was familiar to you somewhere before.
- BIOLOGICAL DÉJÀ VU- the Déjà vu primarily seen by individuals who had experienced or is going to have an epileptic seizure. Examples confined to all the individuals who had been into a serious psychiatric illness such as depression, schizophrenia, dissociative disorders, etc.
- CHRONIC DÉJÀ VU- Déjà vu seen as people refusing things and neglecting the upcoming situations as they have the thoughts that they already knew what is going to happen next even though it will be wrong. Example, a man person rejecting doctor visit as he already knew what he was going to be diagnosed about him.
Few interesting facts about Déjà vu
- About 96% of the individuals worldwide who had witnessed the phenomena of Déjà vu are healthy groups of people.
- The occurrence of Déjà Vu can even help as a symptom for a psychiatric illness to pronounce if experienced more regularly compared to a type of hallucination.
- The highly educated class of people are said to experience Déjà vu more in number than the lower groups of individuals in both class and education.
- The Entorhinal cortices (EC) cortical sections of the brain, when in a lab or artificially stimulated, can cause episodes of Déjà vu to occur.
- People who are said to travel a lot have the chances of getting confronted with Déjà vu more frequently.
- Any situation of stress and tiredness is said to trigger Déjà vu within the person.
- Few drugs used for treating certain flu’s and infections are also said to cause Déjà vu. For example, amantadine and phenylpropanolamine for cold flu.
- TLE- temporal lobe epilepsy is the only mind issue that is said to be positively correlated with the phenomenon of Déjà vu.
- The epileptic persons who had experienced Déjà vu have confirmed from studies that, they would have automatically formed a human aura around them which made them think the recall process.
- Younger age groups of people are proving to experience more of Déjà vu than the ageing population.
- Dual processing, neurological, memory, attention factors are all said to trigger or depend upon Déjà vu.
- The single episode of Déjà vu is not caused by one experience or causer, rather a group of symptoms or situations that can make this happen in all people.
FUTURE STUDIES CONCERNING DEJA VU
Since there is exist plenty much of myths and speculations regarding the feelings and experiences of Déjà vu, one must understand that even though the phenomena are common to all, the variations are present depending upon so many factors and causes. Personal lifestyle and wishes can also play a major role here. Also, the brief nature of the episode of Déjà vu makes it more difficult to study and record theoretically. We do not exactly know whether it is coincidental or is there any hidden repressed or unconscious principle unknowingly present behind. An individual’s personality and character are also closely said to be examined when studying Déjà vu as earlier surveys have shown that open-minded people experience more of this phenomenon. Also, it is not that simple for examining personality as one can fake out themselves and also personality is a dimension that is modifiable by life experiences and people revolving around someone. Both division and distraction of attention are said to be underlying factors for déjà vu in an individual. Hence still so many theories and researches have to be made so as to prove what, why and how do the actual weird phenomena of Déjà vu happens for a person!