Who am I? - I am X with graduation from Y University and doing a job in Z company. To add more, we would say, I am a daughter, or perhaps a brother, a mother or a father, and add more titles.
We have grown the way our society, and the education system has shaped us. Culture and social norms have influenced our thoughts and actions. We associate our identity with our name and family. But are we just our name and the so-called societal titles? Or are we something more incredible and magnificent?
Life is short and precious. To make our lives more meaningful, we must ponder on the very basic yet the toughest unsolved riddle of “who are we? ”. We have covered ourselves with so many layers that stop us from facing straight to our true selves. Shedding away those layers would help us meet an exquisite soul with enormous energy. It would help us dive inwards to listen to our inner voice. Exploring and Expanding magical powers within us is the beginning of an enriching journey of Self Discovery.
The only journey is the journey within. ---Rainer Maria Rilke
Importance of self-discovery
If you wish to travel to a city, you must first know your current place to plan your journey, else, you might end up landing elsewhere. In the same way, to reach your goals and become the best version, knowing yourself is the first step.
Finding yourself is the beginning of your soul awakening, where you start embracing your authentic self and the infinite hidden capabilities within. It is a process of becoming more aware of who you are, understanding your feelings, thoughts, and emotions and realizing your passion. It is a life-changing journey. Research suggests that self-discovery is incredibly valuable. Having a clear picture of yourself is crucial for your happiness, satisfaction, creativity, and growth. It helps you to make the right decision, be more confident, and helps in strengthening all your relations.
Our life is a short movie. While counting your last breath on your deathbed, make sure this movie is worth watching. The cost of not finding yourself is spending the rest of your life wishing you had. And really, life is too short to regret.
Ways to help you find yourself
Life is about creating yourself- Finding yourself is not just about knowing yourself; it is more of creating yourself. We, humans, are always evolving, and at any phase of life are a total of our life experiences. But it does not stop there. Finding new opportunities and putting efforts into improving yourself is essential.
Finding yourself is not something your life-long advisor or someone else can do for you. It is only you wholly who has to be in charge and explore this adventure. “No one can build you the bridge on which you, and only you, must cross the river of life.”
So, do you have the courage to bring forth the treasures hidden within you? If yes, here are ways to have a solid grasp on who you are and what makes you, really you:
1. Uncover your fake layer: Surface-level revelation produces only surface-level results. It gives more fake smiles, fake growths, and fake living. Diving deep within is the beginning of uncovering yourself. This includes distancing from the material world and removing societally-defined titles. Once you have shed every hardened layer covering you, beneath, lies the foundation; where you will meet your true self - the Core. Become internally driven and not externally.
2. Just Be You: An essential part of every existence lies in having a complete sense of self. You can’t truly discover yourself until you are YOU. We are driven off by situations, people, and the way our society has shaped us, forgetting our core beliefs and values that make us unique. Listen to your heart, your inner-calling, and be brave to take a bold stand for your values and decisions of life.
3. Know your purpose: What do you want to do in your one precious life? Knowing what we want is fundamental to finding ourselves.“Life is never made unbearable by circumstances, but only by lack of meaning and purpose.” --- Frankl.
Look out for what you are passionate about, the ultimate thing that drives you and kicks the adrenaline in your body. Seeking your purpose acknowledges room for possibility. To find the purpose, one must be ready to take risks and explore more arts and fields. Nobody can unleash your true potential unless you look up to it and bring it out to the world. Realize your true potential and embark on this journey of life.
4. List things down: Writing down a few things would help you find yourself and will also help you a lot in the long run. Penning down your goals, strengths, weaknesses, timeline, and things that matter to you is a great practice. Writing down has proven to stimulate a part of our brain, thus helping us focus on our priorities in the long run.
5. Connect your dots: Past is the stepping stone in the journey of Self Discovery.“You can’t connect the dots looking forward; you can only connect them looking backward. So you have to trust that the dots will somehow connect in your future.” --- Steve Jobs.
Making a timeline of all the events that happened in your life so far could be very useful. It would help recollect moments of your achievements, pain, regrets, sadness, struggles, and other precious ones. Good memories boost our confidence, and mistakes teach us lessons. Anything in the past, whether it's bad or good, helps us to make the right decision in the future. Moreover, life is never a waste. Everything in life happens for a reason, and connecting the dots of your life would make you realize the same.
6. Observe: “Observing yourself is a necessary starting point for any real change.” --- Chalmers Brothers. Observe your emotions, thoughts, and actions and take control over it. Spend some “me time” where you introspect and realize your weaknesses and strengths, positives and negatives, your goals, aspirations, and take a look at what is holding you back. It is necessary to observe and realize our true potential before we embark on this journey of life.
7. Express yourself: How can you care for others if you don't care for yourself? How can you love someone if you don’t love yourself? Suppressing your feelings and emotions won’t do any good. Don’t be too strict with your feelings. Express them freely.
8. Turn your rock bottom moments: Don’t let the tough moments conquer over you. Instead, make those moments a platform for growth. One must endure the darkness at times, but to bend us out to shape and define us in a way we never thought existed. It takes both rain and sunshine to create a rainbow. And so is with life. Be strong and face dark moments to make a wonderful rainbow.
9. Ask for feedback: Asking and listening to others gives a second dimension to analyze yourself. So, when stuck in life, do take the help of a close friend or any family member who knows you well.
10. The magic lies within you: Believe in yourself and accept the way you are. We human beings seek for pleasant surroundings outside and are in search of power for making the impossible possible. We forget the fact that this incredible power lies within us. The real magic begins when we peep inwards; organize and focus all the dimensions- body, mind, energy, and emotions in that one positive thought we wish to accomplish. And then, those streams of positive thoughts would manifest into great phenomenal things.
When you fight yourself to discover the real you, there is only one winner --- Stephen Richards
You are a game-changer,
You are the boss of your life.
Cherish life! Mold it the way you want to!